Day 65 - 9/2/14 – Weeroona Island - Whyalla SA

We really wanted to go to the Southern Flinders ranges, particularly to see Wilpena Pound, but with the predictions of it being mid to high 40s from tomorrow for a few days we decided the best way about it was to make a day trip out of it. It was about 300km to the Wilpena Pound, and about 350 to Whyalla where we wanted to end up so we were up and in the truck by 6:30am! It was a massive shock to the system as we usually don’t get out of bed until 8 or 8:30! We dropped the van at a servo just outside Port Augusta and headed to Hawker the closest town. Once in Hawker I decided to only get enough diesel to get us back to Port Augusta as there was a 20c/ litre difference in the price of diesel.

Due to the extreme temperature all of the walks in the park were closed so we were resigned to sitting in the air conditioned comfort of Izzy – Bugger! I am positive the views from the top of the range, especially of Wilpenna Pound, would have been a lot more impressive than the ones we looked at from the lookouts but I think it was a pretty good compromise!

From Hawker we headed into the town of Wilpena, which is just on the outside of the ‘pound’ or the circular range that it is.  While we didn’t do a flight over it, I think it is probably the only way to truly appreciate it, so I borrowed this picture so you know what I am talking about!


We then headed up to Hucks and the Stokes Hill lookout. From Stokes Hill we calculated we were only 608 kms, as the eagle flies, from Queensland, the closest we will be for about 4 months!

Soon we were off to Buneyroo Gorge which is along some pretty rough dirt roads so we let the tyres down to 30 PSI, making it a lot more bearable. It was quite different to other places I have visited as you drive down the base of the gorge for the length of it. The base is covered in rocks and I imagine when it rains, if it ever rains, the road would be 2, 4 or 6 meters underwater.

We stopped for lunch in one of the deserted camp grounds in the only shade we could find.

The seats were flat boulders that were almost too hot to sit on. I mentioned it would have been cool to have an egg to see if it would have cooked and Sam suggested we try a bit of cheese to see if it melted. We then set up an experiment with a piece on a rock and another on a metal BBQ plate.  Thought the cheese on the rock would melt first as the rock’s mass was larger, Jack and Sam went for the BBQ plate. We didn’t have to wait long as a minute and a half later the cheese on the plate looked like it had been under and heavy duty griller for 10 minutes. It was bloody hot!

We wondered over to a funny looking area where the rocks had disintegrated and looked like iron filings and it felt like we were walking on the bouncy rubber stuff you find in kids playgrounds. We followed the lead and found some small rocks and graffitied our family initials!


Happliy back into Izzy we headed onto Brachina Gorge, which you drive at the base of like Buneyroo, but has massive sheer walls that tower over you. It was pretty awe inspiring and I had a bit of fun climbing a rock face to catch a good picture. The small problem was that the rocks were so hot they were burning my feet through my thongs and on the way back down I couldn’t hold onto the edges with my hands so I had to slide down it like a slippery slide!

Taken by Sam!
I put a bit of a video together as a summary of the range and the surrounding area.


We had planned to do a couple of walks so we were about 4 hours ahead of schedule when we got back to Hawker. I threw another $15 worth of diesel to be sure we would get back to Port Augusta and headed off. Now I am not sure if it was the head wind that had blown up, that I was using cruise control or that I was driving at 110km (the speed limit) but by the time we reached Quorm, 40ks from our destination, I knew we would have to fill up. The only problem is that the servo closed at 2:30 (it was Sunday) and the time was 3:30. Fortunately we had taken out the super dooperest RACQ cover possible so we called the AAA and about an hour later the nice bloke opened the station up for us. I had to laugh, as I was getting out of the truck to put the diesel in I asked De whether I should put $10 or $15 in. I only wish I had the camera ready to capture the look on her face! So after filling it to the brim, and the boys getting a free ice block to boot, we headed off, picking up the van on the way to Whyalla on the Eyre Peninsula that runs all the way to the WA border.

We camped at the local footy club and got a hot chook and chips, from the “Bottle and Bird” a drive through bottle shop that is also a drive through greasy spoon, serving burgers, fish and hot chooks – now there is an idea whose time had come! (Kev - I think one of these would work a treat in Toowoomba)


It wasn’t long before we were in bed after covering around 750km in today’s searing heat!


No comments:

Post a Comment