Day 69 - 13/2/14 – Second Creek -> Port Lincoln SA

The rain came down all evening and as today was caravan park day we were off nice and early. After being in small towns, most only having a population of 800 – 1500 for the last two weeks, it was a bit weird driving into Port Lincoln which is a pretty big regional town in SA. The rain had eased off a bit so we headed into town and kicked De out to have a couple of hours of quite time in a town with more than 10 shops! The boys and I then did the rounds of the tackle shops and picked up some supplies including me lashing out on a new $2.50 pair of boardies and three $6 t-shirts as well as a $10 pair of thongs.

We checked out the marina which is HUGE and home a the biggest fleet of trawlers I have ever seen. The photo below is only one line up, there are another 3 or 4 and that doesn't include all of the boats used for the fish farms!

The boys and I had a bit of fun with De as Port Lincoln is the home of the cage dive with great white sharks and all kinds of other creatures. As we drove around the marina I intentionally chose not to look at the shark dive signs and while she says she new I wouldn't do it, after making her jump out of a plane for mothers day, there was always the chance I could feed her to the sharks for Valentine's day! Aside from making De's sweat cold we managed to run into the local seal at the boat ramp who was more than happy to pose for a picture of two, and managed to save us a few hundred bucks on paying for a tour!





We spent the afternoon on the caravan park jetty trying in vain to catch a squid, however we at least saw a couple trailing our lures so I was feeling pretty hopeful for this evening as they are supposed to be a lot easier to catch at dusk, which is around 8pm in this part of the world!

The park had a full oven in it so De cooked up an awesome dinner of lamb shanks and roast vegies and early valentine’s day meal! As soon as the boys were in bed I headed for the jetty determined to get a squid. There were a few others there already but nothing to show for it. I set myself up and cast and cast and cast but with no result. A local bloke fishing at the end called me as a couple of squid had followed his lure in so we jigged our lures in front of them. I am guessing they must have liked his colour more as two ended up taking his while mine remained an unloved prawn looking thing. He managed to get another small one and when he was leaving offered them to me as well as showing me how to clean the small one. They are a comical creature squirting out these massive blobs of ink when they are caught and as they lay on the jetty they change colour from translucent to a dark woody brown.

I squided on for another half an hour but called it a night and proceeded to clean my other two. When I was shown previously there was no ink at all and apart from being really slimy it was fairly easy to do. The first step is to pull its head off and as I did my first one I ruptured this guys ink sack which he must have thought to keep relatively full. My hands and him were now completely covered in something that resembles ink from a black ball point pen. 5 minutes later I had three calamari tubes that looked like they had been dipped in a tub of tar! Back at camp I managed to wash all of the ink off, stored the bits for bait and packed away some tubes to show the boys in the morning. I wanted to tell them that I caught them but new I would be found out in the end.


The rain started again just as we were going to bed and it was awesome to have the sound of rain tinking on top of the van as we drifted off to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment