Day 107 – 23/3/14 – Sandy Cape – Ellendale Pool WA

The boys were up super excited to check their traps and I have been led to believe that a fox had visited overnight and extracted the fish finger from a berley cage they had found and then tangled its self in the twine and miraculously escaped....amazing

We were on the road by 9am and were looking forward to visiting a local cave then heading to our next camp where we could have a nice relaxing Sunday afternoon.

The instructions of how to find “Stockyard Gully Cave” were pretty scant at best. There was some info at the camp and a one liner in the tourist brochure but none of our digital maps would take us there. We ended up finding the turn off pretty easily and headed in along a good dirt road. About 5km before the cave the dirt abruptly finished, as we entered the NP, and it became very sandy and a good deal rougher. I switched it into 4WD as a precaution but we made it through pretty easily.

We have been checking out animal tracks regularly and the track in was alive with them. Foxes, echidnas and heaps of others that we only guessed. Anybody willing to have a go at what the one below is?


We walked to the caves and had a great time walking through them. The best part was that there was no tour guide and we pretty much had the whole place to our self. In the middle of the cave, which is about 400m long, I made the boys turn of their headlamps and stand perfectly still. The stillness, silence and blackness was amazing. We got to the other end and as it was pretty warm outside and nice and cool in the cave, rather than doing the full loop we just turned around and walked back through the cave. On the way the boys discovered a bit of an off shoot that they were pretty keen to investigate but Jack was to worried about bush rangers hiding in there to continue... 
In pitch blackness - cameras don't like taking photos

Watching out for bush rangers in their off shoot!

The northern entrance was pretty Huge!

We headed back to the truck and kept driving along the road, rather than turning around and going back the way we came. Somehow we thought that the road was going to be better that way. We ran into Anthony et al just as they were leaving and they said that the track was surprisingly rough. Oh how I wish I had stopped to ask HOW rough. We were about 5 minutes down the track when the trees and bushes started to hedge the road in. Usually this is no problem as every bodies vehicle is about the same with. Our van however is about 30cm wider on each side so poor old Gator was coping an absolute hammering. If that wasn’t bad enough about 15 minutes further on the sandy track became very sandy, and then 10 minutes later it was even sandier and then even sandier....and yep I was bogged.

First time out was pretty easy I just shoveled a bit of sand away from in front of the tyres. The second time I did the same but let the tires down , the third time it was starting to get really hot and I was in a lather of sweat that made every grain of sand stick to me. Add to that the bushes along the side of the track ALL had extremely sharp spines on them and to get to the tires I had to push through them or crawl under the truck or van in sand that was about 40oC. Now I was really having fun. The third and fourth bogs were about 3m apart and my rear diff was starting to hit the sand so it was time to bring the max track out! I spent about 15 minutes prepping this one as while I still had a few trumps up my sleeve I was hoping to leave them there. I took off with De pushing at the back and I drove a few hundred meters to a solid area, then returning back to De who was still trying to dig one of the max tracks out! Oh the fun.

After we had escaped I stopped at one of the few good spots on the track to get a pic

We kept heading along and Anthony managed to catch up to us. We had a couple of really close calls to getting bogged again but managed to keep moving.....JUST. As we got further along the sand gave way, Yeay, but it was replaced by limestone rocks that stick out of the road, sometimes 20cm+ making the next 20 minutes bloody miserable at best, as I watched Gator bouncing of rocks, a number of times her wheels leaving terra firma. We finally made it, much to my relief, and we stopped up the road to inflate the tires.

Gator had preformed magnificently on a track that should never have been tackled by a caravan and the only ‘damage’ was the fridge latch had undone spreading its contents liberally across the floor!

We headed into Port Denison, while I tried to rehydrate myself. I should have got on the scales as I would have sweated a few kgs off I’m sure! We had our traditional Sunday Chip Butties for lunch and after I did a bit of work headed into the hills behind Geraldton to Ellendale Pool. The swimming hole has magnificent rock cliffs on the other side but due to the lack of rain over the last few months we were advised not to swim in it.......bugger! We were way behind schedule so I whipped up a quick dinner while I tried in vain to get the 20/20 cricket on the TV. Digital TV is sooooo bloody frustrating!

It had been a long day that didn’t go according to plan but I was amazed at how well both Izzy and Gator, Gator in particular, had held up across such a rough stretch of road. Hopefully we will get into Geraldton tomorrow where we can go to a visitor centre that can give us some information on the hows and whats of the rest of the local attractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment