Day 124 – 9/4/14 - Cape Range National Park WA

Cape Range National Park coves the western side of a long peninsula that juts about 100km out north westward into the Indian Ocean. For almost the entire length of the peninsula the Ningaloo Reef hugs the coast with the reef going 1 – 2 km out. Just beyond the reef is a massive drop off with the depth going very quickly to 30m causing waves to break onto the reef. In front of our camping area is a channel 6 – 8m deep and 300m wide that runs through the reef. Beyond the entrance to the channel is the closest point the continental shelf comes to the mainland. That means within 20 minutes you can be sitting in 150m of water – pretty bloody scary!

It was pretty calm this morning but not quite calm enough for me to go outside so Sam and I anchored up beside a bommie and started flicking some lures with no luck. They had bought some bigger (18cm) lures so we decided we would troll the channel to see what was about. We had only been going a few minutes when Sambo was on. I quickly started to bring my line in to get it out of the way when I also got hit. Oh well..I stuck my rod back in the holder and got the net ready for whatever Sam had on. Just as I was about to land it, it chewed through to leader and Sambo’s brand new $10 lure was gone. I could tell he was devastated but he kept a brave face just long enough to realise that mine had gotten off to, but had left me the lure at least!

I couldn’t help but reach into my case and grab him one of my new lures and the full smile returned. We started to troll again and on our 2nd lap we managed to get another hook up. But this time we managed to land it, a 75cm Barra....(what’s that...they don’t have Barra around there....sure they do...) a Barracuda not a Barramundi. While not quite as fancy it was a good catch and Sambo was pretty happy. The only problem was that I now had a fish with rather large and very sharp teeth bouncing around at my feet! A couple of seconds and a rather large blow with the ‘donger’ later and all was restored! A few more laps of the channel didn’t provide anymore bounty so we headed in.


Jack had spent the morning with De. After 120+ days of living in each others pockets tempers have been fraying between the boys a bit lately so we thought some time apart would go some way towards healing this!

After lunch Jack and I headed out with De and Sam going for a swim. Jack and I tried our hardest trolling with lures and flicking any number of different lures and plastics but we came up empty handed. Bugger! We picked up the swimmers from a beautiful sandy beach and headed back to camp.

In the afternoon the boys grabbed their rods and tackle boxes and headed to the rocky outcrop just in front of the campground. The good thing is the two boys who were camping next door, Lochy and Connor, were also into their fishing. So for the next 2 or 3 hours they happily cast and chatted away while I prepare a yummy barracuda curry.

The sunset was another cracker but tonight I thought the view to the east, looking back over the range was even more impressive!



No comments:

Post a Comment