Day 125 – 10/4/14 - Cape Range National Park WA

De woke up all itchy and as it may be an allergy to your truly I thought I had better get the boys and head out fishing. It was a fair bit calmer this morning so as we dropped out lures out we decided to head out a bit further and see if we can get into 30m of water where the mackerel live.

The 'Channel'.......it looks so simple when you look at this picture!
After about 2 minutes Jack managed to hook a large rock that required us to back track to de-snag it. We headed off again leaving the lures in the boat until we were in 6m of water and were chugging along nicely when Jack said he had another snag. According to what the depth sounder was saying I didn’t believe him but the look on his face as he valiantly tried to hold onto the rod made me think he was right. I flicked the motor into neutral and grabbed the rod.....mana this was no snag it was pulling much harder than mother earth! I was pretty excited as I knew it was way too big to be  a barracuda and my hope was we had jagged a big mackerel that had come into the channel for some morning tea. It was really putting up a good fight and had a couple of really big runs with the line screaming of my big reel. In the end it tired and I man handled it towards the surface. It was a bloody big shark....about 2m of sheer muscle and it was clear it didn’t like me as it ran like hell again...and a few more times. It had inhaled my new lure so there was no way of getting it back..bugger..The thought did cross my of turning into dinner but I wasn’t quite sure if he would have fit into the boat so he was cut free to find the nearest dentist.


With the heart already racing we then headed out through the channel. While the waves were breaking on the reef 150m either side of us the depth of the channel kept them from forming but we were riding them up and down. The “Salt Shaker”, the boat from the camp next door, was trolling on what I presumed was the 30m mark so we carefully edged our way out further. It was pretty amazing as at times I could see the bottom at about 10m depth on one side of the boat and on the other side it was a deep blue and the depth sounder was telling me 20m+. My heart rate was up and after a couple of quick passes we decided to head back inside as while it was exhilarating it wasn’t 100% fun!

As soon as we passed back into the channel both boys were on again and it was a mad scramble to get nets and gear to the ready. We managed to land Jack’s a 78cm barracuda but poor old Sambo lost his again. Despite and  my prompting Jack’s cudda continued to flip and flop around the very small area where I put my feet causing me to almost wrap my legs around the back of my neck. After a few goes it eventually went to sleep and the lines were back out again. I had marked the spot on the GPS so we headed back over it and Jacko managed to get another one with poor old Sambo bring his in with three chasing them but none that were hungry enough!

Happy with the feed we headed back in to a slightly less itchy De. The boys were back out on their rock fishing as soon as we returned but were having no luck. In the afternoon we walked to the beach where De and Sam were swimming yesterday as the neighbours had some luck their yesterday. They are older than Jack and were standing waist deep casting their plastics. Jack was just Ok as he is a bit of a bean stalk buth Sambo was up to his armpits trying to keep up! I emptied out the crate that carries out snorkelling gear and took it out to him. He was as proud as punch to be able to play with the big boys!

Empty handed we headed back with the boys running ahead. The boys had taken up their now usual fishing position and I grabbed a rod and had a couple of casts on Sam’s rod on the way past. On the 2nd cast I managed to land a mangrove jack, which is a reasonably prized fish, but even though it was a bit small the boys were seething. They had fished there 2 days straight for a total of zero and opn my 2nd cast I had struck it rich! I quickly departed before I was lynched by the mob!
One of the locals
De cooked us up some super yummy fish cakes using a reciepe from Viv Moon’s cook book (Thanks Greg & Dorothy) and for something different we took the table and chairs down by the water and had dinner as the sun set over the water. As the sun disappeared the moon took over. 
With Flash
Without flash

Seems I need to do some more reading on how to use the camera!
The boys had set up the telescope yesterday and the view of the moon was amazing. All of the other kids in the camp lined up to have a look. The only problem being is that it doesn’t stay still so every couple of minutes I would have to adjust it!


It had been a long day and I was glad to hit the hay!

No comments:

Post a Comment