Day 127 – 12/4/14 - Cape Range National Park - Exmouth WA

We were up early, despite it being a late night, and while I was feeling a little worse for wear we had to be on the move. After 127 days on the road I had lined up with Tony, who is looking after our business while we are away, to spend the day going over a few things and getting all of our ducks in line for the 2nd half of the trip. The only problem was that we had to drive the 75km to Exmouth to be in range, it seemed like everything possible had been removed from the truck and van, it was stinking hot and the kids were desperate to go snorkelling for one last time with the swarm of kids at the camp site. If I didn’t lose 5kgs packing up then I certainly sweated out all of last nights beers! In the end we rolled out at 9:15 and wished all our new BFF a great holiday.

We parked up at the caravan park and I was pretty surprised that they were wanting $64 for one night. I sucked it up thinking I was going to get a fair deal using their wifi and the AC would be running all day. Pretty soon we discovered the Wifi wasn’t working.....and our site didn’t have a blade of grass on it...grrrr

For the next 5 hours Tony and I worked through the last 4 months and hopefully set him up for the next three while De and the boys had a big swim in the pool and watched a bit of TV. By three in the afternoon both Tone and I were fanging for a beer and De was in need of a break so I took the boys up the road to the skate park. One thing the WA government has done wonders with is their royalties for regions program. Every town has incredible facilities from community centres to skate parks they are getting something back. 

While the boys were attempting some new tricks a bloke wondered through, heading to the AFL/cricket oval next door. I had tried to find out of there was an AFL game on so we could take Sambo (who for some unknown reason has some interest in this strange sport) but had come up empty handed. I enquired with the gent and he said that the local twenty/20 comp was having their final tonight and the beers were cheap!


I grabbed the boys and headed back, cooked up a quick butter chicken, inhaled it and the boys and I headed over to watch the game. After our Denmark experience I wasn’t expecting much but I was amazed to see the coloured spectacle in front of me. There were certainly no uniforms, it was ‘free clothes’, and despite them playing with a leather ball I could only count three players across both teams that were wearing shoes. The batsmen had no pads and most only wore inners rather than gloves! About 10 minutes after we arrived 10 overs were up, so it was drinks and its was beers, beams and rumbos. I have always loved cricket but I think I could even consider being a regular participant in a competition like this! 

The boys headed home after the 3rd over of the 2nd innings while I had a couple of relaxing beers watching the game unfold. It looked like the Boonies had it stitched up but the opposition ran through them with 5 overs to go leaving them 13 to get from 18 balls with 2 wickets in hand. Another wicket fell and the runs dried up and the pressure was really starting to build, this was the GF after all. Then like that a couple of 4s in a row and it was all over. I was tempted to hang around and celebrate the win but two late nights in a row would stretch my fitness levels!




No comments:

Post a Comment