Day 140 25/4/14 – Broome WA

The boys and I attend the dawn service every year and we had been looking forward to attending Broome’s service. There was no need for thick jumpers, beanies of scarfs in here, it was T shirt and shorts for us!  The sun was slowly still below the horizon as we arrived creating a magnificent back drop for the men and women as the marched to the memorial. The service was a lot bigger than the one we usually attend with at least a few thousand people there to watch. It was a good service with the highlight being a single gunshot being fired towards the location in Roebuck Bay where the Japanese had bombed and sunk  a number of Australian sea planes during the war.


We quickly headed to the RSL for the traditional gunfire breakfast that is always accompanied by a rum and milk and a couple of beers. I started chatting with a current serviceman Carl and his partner Jane who were on a trip down from Darwin. We had a great chat and I managed to buy them a drink as thanks for what they do for us, something I try to do every year.

We headed back to camp just in time for De to take Sambo to the Lego movie while Jack and I hung around at camp. After lunch I headed to the Divers tavern, over the road, for a bit of Daddy time; watching the rugby and betting on the horses. I ended up spending the afternoon in a shout with Paul from Perth. The best part was that he was drinking pots and I was drinking pints....and he was happy with that!! Despite my best efforts I couldn’t pick a broken nose and my ‘old mans cover charge’ was up on the usual...but thanks to Paul not nearly as high as it could have been!


Late in the afternoon I headed back, grabbed the family and then we went to Cable Beach for some not so crunchy, but ridiculously expensive, fish and chips...as per our ‘are we there yet’ tour guide. It had been a looong day so as soon as we got back to the park it was lights out and nobody complained.


No comments:

Post a Comment