Day 137 22/4/14 – Quandong Point WA

Another beautiful day in paradise awaited us as the sun peaked over the horizon! This area of Australia has the second biggest tides in the world and today was around 9m between low and high tide (to make it relative there is usually around 2.5m in Brisbane) so when the tide goes out....it REALLY goes out. The beach goes from being 30m wide to 300m wide and you have to take a packed lunch to get to the waters edge! It The tide was out but making its way back in so we hit the beach for the morning with a game of cricket the order of the day followed by some boogie boarding and then taking some ‘spekkies’ in the waves. Its a pretty hard life!
Down the beach

Looking back up from the beach



After lunch the tide was in so Jack and I grabbed a rod and headed for the rocky headland to see if anything was on the bite. I had been casting for about ½ an hour when I noticed something in the water a few hundred meters away bobbing up and down. I looked somewhat like a cushion and as it came closer it looked like it was dark blue and had a very strong resemblance of one that you would find on a plane.....my mind started to think about what I will need to do when this thing comes in and its got a Malaysian Airlines logo on it...do I call the police or should I call the my solicitor and get a contract drawn up with Newscorp before I do that...hey being on holidays is an expensive job!

The fact that  you didn’t see me on the news gives you a pretty good idea that, while I was certain it was a cushion, it ended up to be a log. Oh well back to pasta and noodles!

The boys spent the afternoon playing with their hermit crabs, feeding and racing them. As night fell we prepared ourselves for the meteor shower that was supposed to be happening and I thought we were pretty well positioned to have a decent look at it. While I set up the chairs De and the boys headed down to spotlight some crabs....which was pretty easy as there were thousands of them! 


While I waited for their return I looked to the north east and managed to see two meteors (I call them shooting stars) running parallel through the sky at the same time about a fingers width apart from each other, and with my completely limited astronomical knowledge, I adjudged to be extremely rare. When the boys returned we relaxed into our chairs and waited for the meteors to ‘shower’...and we waited and waited and waited....I think it was about 45 minutes and perhaps 500 questions later, when I had give the 5 minute warning that we finally managed to see one and thankfully the boys thought it was pretty cool!


We headed inside for the night and discovered that the midges must have been having an international conference using our van as the destination. The little buggers where literally everywhere. I turned one of the reading lights on, turning everything else off, and sprayed them. Great problem solved...but 10 seconds later the same number of the little blighters were there! I repeated this 5 or 6 times and the blue couch that was under the light looked like it had the worst case of dandruff in human history. Happy with the result we also headed to bed and, not wanting to turn the lights on to read, we played some games on our phones (romantic hey) but within a few seconds we both had swarms of them buzzing around...in the end I set up a tablet on the bench and every couple of minutes I would spray the next few hundred that emerged. After about another 45 minutes a small pile of them began to build! I took a photo of the pile but it seems to have disappeared..I think a couple of the ones that survived infiltrated my camera and deleted them.... We didn’t bother to turn the lights on and read before we went to sleep!

1 comment: