Day 157 12/5/14 – Drysdale River Station – Roadside stop looking over Pentecost River WA

The boys flew out of bed to play with Finn while we took our time to pack up. The only thing on our agenda for today is driving and fishing so we were happy to let them run! Around 10 we headed south back towards the Gibb. We really enjoyed the detour and were so happy that we took to time to do it!

After about 40kms I thought it would be interesting to see what it was like inside the van as we drive down this, some time bone jarring, dirt road. I locked myself in the van, sat on the bed and De rolled on for about 10 minutes. After the first 30 seconds I was in a state of delirium trying to decide how to get out of the van. The van was shaking and pulsating from every angle and I was positive it was going to implode on my. After 45 seconds I was still in a state of mild panic as I hugged the stove top sure it was going to come loose. Another 15 seconds later and reason started to kick in knowing that we had already been of heaps of roads like this and it was highly unlikely that it was going to implode...but the next nine minutes were pretty bloody scarry, especially as unknowingly I managed to choose a section that had ‘red dust corrugations’ the deepest and worst. Mercifully I heard De changing down through the gears brining the rig to a stop. I was out of there quicker than Jack Flash and let another 5PSI out of the tyres in sympathy for Gator!


We pressed on and were excited to get back onto the Gibb. It is around this time we achieved two major milestones. The first was 20,000kms on the trip. Unfortunately as we had no reception I couldn’t look back at the photo I took of our odometer as we rolled out of McEwan St so we took a couple of well educated guesses. The second was all the three’s, but we took it a step further. As the truck rolled over 33,333kms we had lined up the trip meter to be 33.3kms. I also slowed the truck down so we were driving at 33kms/hr and just to top it off I got us to as close to 3333 RPM as possible....The things that amuse small minds on looong drives!


After lunch we unhooked Gator and went bush bashing to a secret fishing spot we had been told about on the Durack River. It was only 7kms it but it took us the best part of ½ hour to get there! It was pretty bloody warm as we scrambled across the rocks that make up a massive river in the wet season to a secluded water fall. I got everybodies rigs ready and as one we started casting. With my second cast I was on to a barra, she put up a meagre fight and was landed with a degree of ease. With photos taken I put her in a puddle behind me as at 60cm I thought I might be able to upgrade her!




The four of us spent the next three hours casting and casting and casting. I had a few chasers and also managed to get a cat fish but other than that it was a very hard slog. Two of the three water bottles were spilt and when I went to check on my catch after an hour or so he had disappeared. I had a quick look but wasn’t too worried as it was virtually impossible for him to escape. Later the boys located him under a rock and I got a stick to chase him out, which I did very successfully. However he had gained enough strength to skim through a gap that must have been 1mm wider than him and back into the falls...oh well! I was quite philosophical as barra are the one creature in this world that I struggle to kill. They are majestic beasts and I feel as if they are (sometimes) left to swim another day.

We were all veeery hot and even more thirsty as we hopped back to the truck and then bashed our way back to the road. While we came out empty handed we had just been fishing in a pretty special spot in an amazing part of Australia.

We rolled on eventually pulling up after dark at a free camp overlooking the Penetecost River. The view would have been magic but it was pitch black so the most magical part about this spot tonight is that we had Telstra reception! After a few phone calls and emails it was time for bed. It was around this time that I noticed that my knee was starting to swell up....It has done this once before in September 2011 so I had an idea what to expect. I took a few neuofren and went to bed knowing that my knee would be like a basketball in the morning!




No comments:

Post a Comment