Day 51 - 26/1/14 – Victor Harbour SA

Australia Day (Astrya Daay)

Well based on the way my head was feeling and he way everybody else was looking (I was doing my best to stay away from mirrors) the lady who politely suggested it might have been time to finish up was completely bloody wrong! I think she was at least an hour to late in giving us the wind up! Never the less it was Astraya Daay so we sparked up the Barbie and had bacon and egg sangas to get things rolling, and the grease went some way to doing the trick.

After the requisite amount of stuffing around we packed a few beers and wines into a makeshift esky and walked the 1.5km into town looking for a couple of shady trees to pull up under hoping there would be some entertainment or the like going on. I think Victor Harbour City Council must have spent its events budget on the Tour Down Under a couple of days earlier as nothing was to be found. The effects of the night before were evident in the fact that I was the only one who was able to consume a beverage with our lunch of chip sangas (there not butties, especially on Astrya Daay).

 After finding a dumping place for our untouched esky we headed for the horse drawn tram to take us over the bridge on an adventure to Granite Island. All the upper deck seats on the tram were taken so we sauntered across the jetty to the cafe where there were 4 dolphins having  wrestle close to the shore. Warnie thought it might have been something other than wrestling but I was dubious about dolphins swinging characteristics! The boys were shouted an ice cream by Nia and Warnie and we headed for the tram station to make sure we got a top deck seat. Our guests decided to walk back the 1.5k to the mainland but we were staying put, there was no way the boys were going to miss out on this one!

The tram arrived and we took up our seats fully exposed to what was a sun sitting high in the sky and burning down on us with all of its effort. The 15 yr old tram driver said it would be a 20 minute wait...... after about 30 minutes I started to understand why they had written NO REFUNDS on their sign in the biggest and boldest print they could find! I think it was about 35 minutes later we finally left, but I can’t be 100% sure as was in a state of heat stroke induced delirium by that point. After the ten minute ride disembarked at the other end and I made mental note that if I ever do get a skin cancer I will be getting my solicitor to fire of a letter to the tram operators looking for restitution!

I am pretty sure it was my delirium that then made me suggest that I should ride Jack’s BMX bike back to the van park and come back and pick everyone up in the truck...sorry no pictures so you will have to imagine a 6’ tall, slightly overweight gent riding a 18” kids BMX bike. I am sure must amused at least a few people along the way, especially as I was riding along the last 1km of the Tour Down Under track!

Once the troops all regathered at the park a cricket match was hastily convened as the one between the Aussies and the Poms that was on the TV wasn’t worth watching! Nia clearly exhibited why Wales doesn’t have a cricket team and Warnie showed his class standing up to some ferocious bowling from “Damo” another young fella from Melbourne who is travelling around Australia with his family. 


To keep the lambassador happy, De cooked an awesome dinner of lamb shanks (that was far better than the previous night at the restaurant) matched with a nice Coonawarra red. 


We had the TV set up outside and settled in to watch the finish of a very dour game of cricket on the TV. Hang on, surely they can’t defend that total, naa, another wicket, and another....there was 3 overs left and while we were being pretty quite and it was only 9ish the same lady who had politely asked us to shut up (at midnight) the night before came back over..........I felt like I was back in front of Charlie Fisher, my high school principal, again asking if we could please just watch the next three overs then we promise, I promise, we will turn it off and go to bed....but she just wanted to watch it with us! Nice.


The boys eventually got them all out and it was a great end to a cricket season that started sitting beside Warnie at the 1st day of the 1st test at the Gabba and finished on Astraya Daay drinking rum with Warnie in Victor Harbor SA!


I had to include this photo of Nia in her resplendent camping attire!

No comments:

Post a Comment